Monday, January 10, 2011

Devilled eggs

Now, strictly, I had wanted to post my recipe for grape nut bread next (surprisingly good, trust me, but I'll get to that one next), but after having posted the salmon pâté... I kinda had to post the devilled eggs, too.
     The first time that I'd made the pâté, I had also made these deviled eggs to go with it.  They went really well.  For some odd reason, I think that I'd only made the combination once (possibly twice?) thereafter, but regardless: it's too good a combo to not post these next.
     I don't remember how much of this recipe is mine and how much came from an online recipe, so this might already be out there somewhere.


6 hard boiled eggs                                               
1/2 cup Miracle Whip
1 tsp. Dijon mustard                                             
1 tbsp. fresh parsley
1 tbsp. scallions, minced
1 small jalapeno pepper
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese                  
1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. onion powder
a few drops of Worcestershire sauce
1/8 tsp dill
1/2 tsp vinegar
1-2 tsp milk
1/2 teaspoon cilantro (optional)
a pinch of cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon horseradish, grated
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1 can (6 oz) salad crab meat, drained             
pinch chili powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika                                    
2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley

Slice each egg in half crosswise. Scrape out yolks, saving contents in a bowl.  Add miracle whip and mustard, and blend together.  RESERVING 1/2 teaspoon parsley (for garnish), add remaining ingredients and combine.

Spoon approximately 1 tbsp. of the yolk mixture into each egg half.  Sprinkle lightly with chili powder and paprika.  Garnish with parsley.

No comments: